Tuesday 22 May 2007

Patience and fustrations

Toay I got properly angry for the first time in Ghana. Other people have been dissapointed, and cross for various reasons allready. What got me was seeing ne of the JSS teachers caning children hard enough to make them cry. Thats the system in GHana...but it isn't supposed to happen whilst we are around. Apparently it took a very long time to get that consession. Also the headteacher is the only person who is suposed to use the cane, but he wasn't there today, which is probably whythis hapened quite that badly. Anyway, this was on top of the teachers completely failing to follow the timetable again, meaning that the remeadial lessons we had been intending to do didn't happen. We've been trying to teach a half hour lesson for about a week now, and everytime we turn up the lessons have been moved or changed or cancelled or whatever. its so oiritating and fustrating that its pointless for us to try ad continue. Eilidh and I will be teahcing in the Primary school instead if things don't improve.

Otherwise things are pretty good. Ythere was a huuuge storm yesterday, which cleared the air a little, although its very very hot. O, and my bed fell apart - the screws holding the headboard and legs onto the beams of the bed pulled out and the whole thing collapsed. I slept on the sofa, but I should have a bed tonight...I dont know. The storm closed the school yesterday- it blew the roof of JSS and meant that the KG and nursery children all had to shelter in the 2 best built rooms - about 300 children in two classrooms. So school completely closed, but its up and running today.

OK, enough...Im going to end this now as I have nothing much more to say.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good brief and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you for your information.